Monday, September 13, 2010

A woman, her husband and their sweet little girl.

Today I had an encounter that really made me think how lucky I am. I may talk about the long hours Kyle works and how I sure wish he could make it home for dinner with us more than just a few nights a week but you know, I’m lucky to get him a few nights a week.

Today I had a real wakeup call.

I, the one who “misplaces” a lot of things left my day planner at a friend’s house yesterday. At lunch time I was going crazy without it (by the way there is nothing planned for today besides Monday night football) but I live, eat breath by that silly book. I went to her work to pick it up and that is where I stumbled upon this woman, her husband and their little girl.

This man was dressed in his service uniform and finalizing some things to help care for his adorable wife and daughter before he is deployed tomorrow; before he left the dinner table for the next 12 months. Members of the U.S. Army Reserve 592nd Ordnance Company prepare to depart for Afghanistan tomorrow. A total of 111 soldiers will leave Billings for and head to Afghanistan for about a year.


This, my blogger friends, is something that SO many of us will never experience, we will never know that feeling. We will never understand what REALLY saying that kind of goodbye is like, nor will we know what eating dinner with daddy over skype with an 11 hour time difference is all about.

Today I’m thankful for not only these men and woman and the incredible sacrifices they make, but also our dinners even if it is just a few nights a week.

Oddly enough as I am sitting here typing this, Kyle just called to tell me he is at the grocery store grabbing a few things for dinner. Honey, how about chili dogs (remember I told you above it is Monday night football). Tonight at our low key chili dog dinner I will soak in what it will be like for some of these families eating together tonight.
(This is not the real dad and little girl...but sure gives you an idea)

No comments:

Post a Comment