Thursday, September 2, 2010

In His Hands

Having a school age child in your home, for my husband and I, mean that we are actively involved in various fundraisers for several organizations both locally and nationwide. We want our kids to see that we have a great life here in America. We want them to appreciate all they are privileged to have and know. We also want them to know that with this appreciation come responsibilities in giving back.

Kyle and I have given it our best to show Maci that giving back doesn't always mean monetary tithing.

One organization (besides K-Love) that continues to sick vividly in my mind is In His Steps International. In His Steps is passionate about transforming lives spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally, economically and socially. To see that God has had a hand in this is amazing. In His Steps insists to provide opportunity for all people to experience a renewed life and to see them liberated from affliction, deprivation and oppression. To the hungry, they offer life. To the forgotten, they provide purpose. To the outcast, they introduce dignity. To the desperate, they bring hope.

In His Steps International has 6 different ministries. The one I specifically was introduced to was Sak Saum which offers rescue, rehabilitation and restoration to at-risk and exploited Cambodian women. They teach women to sew. In the future they plan to teach other job skills to girls who may not wish to learn sewing as there are many other lines of work which can also be taught to aid more at-risk and trafficked women to provide for themselves which is the ultimate goal.
My cherished friend Jessica asked me on Friday night to go with her to a purse party…ugh I don’t need another purse, was my contemplation. But after she explained a little to me I thought sure why not. I fell in love with the product the minute we walked in. From there I gained an interest in helping in any way I can. Jessica and I hope to soon be able to host a party ourselves; unfortunately there is not anyone locally.
I continue to follow the site and particularly the Sak Saum blog. I even stole a few pictures off the blog to show you here. It is just incredible.

We will never know whose life was impacted because we bought the bag and the apron, and it doesn't matter. We gave of ourselves just a bit to help those in need. The best part was Maci was along to see it all and we have talked about it several times since then. It makes me feel so thankful for the life we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment