Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Oh did I stay up way too late last night; hooked on finishing this book Choosing to SEE: A Journey of Struggle and Hope . The book features the story of Steven Curtis and Mary Beth Chapman and their five-year-old adopted daughter’s tragic accident in 2008.

Mary Beth Chapman explains how life was not how she planned. All she ever wanted was a calm, peaceful life of stability and control. Instead god has handed her a different plan, he gave her an award winning singer/songwriter for a husband, crazy schedules, and a house full of creatively rambunctious children. And then this tragedy she never would have imagined she would face.

Maria Sue Chapman was struck by an SUV driven by one of her older brothers, in the driveway to their family home. Maria was Steven and Mary Beth Chapman's third adopted daughter and sixth child overall. That was a point where Mary Beth realized life was not where it should be, god had given her something she never expected.

Steven Curtis Chapman is an amazing an amazing song writer, a man that writes from his heart; something we can all relate to. I listen to his music a lot, not just the music but the words he sings. I was introduced to his music and K-Love by my friend Jessica. I fell in love with his song, Cinderella, in which my father and I danced to at my wedding.

Their belief in adoption led the couple to found Shaohannah's Hope, an organization aimed at helping families facing the financial burden of adopting a child.

This book if you choose to read it, and I hope you do, will make you laugh and cry — and will ultimately touch your heart at a very deep level. I especially appreciated Mary Beth’s raw honesty. She didn’t try to come across like she has it all together or has it all figured out. Instead, she shares openly about her many struggles throughout her life. Her many struggles to still trust god and still remain strong in her faith with god. Her struggles to lead a home under the wings of god. With a well balanced combination of heart-wrenching honesty and absolute grace, she shares her nightmare.

This book motivated me to make sure I am not only to make sure I am cherishing each moment with my family, but it was also inspires me to learn more about orphans and my grandmothers history. Something you may not know, my dear Grammy was an orphan so for our family, there is history. She was in the St. Thomas Orphanage in Great Falls, MT.

I was especially excited to learn about the work of the Chapman’s ministry, Show Hope, an organization dedicated to providing support and help for orphans. It made me want to learn more about the Orphanage my grandmother came from. Granny…you and I are going to lunch!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fabulous book. We all need that frequent reminder about what really matters! Come visit us at The Power of Moms. (www.powerofmoms.com) A place where mothers can learn from each other. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete