Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hating the word "Budget"

Does anyone else hate the word "budget"? Those two syllables just make me want to curl into a ball and hide under the couch and forget about money forever.
But here I go amongst the new house I’m diving in to this “budget” thing. I decided I better start balancing my checkbook, yep I work at a bank and don’t balance my check book. Not proud of it but I’m changing that. I tried to join Mint.com but it won’t connect BFCU so then I joined Wesabe (not as fancy but it works) I am really trying to set up a budget and follow it. I have been listening to the Dave Ramsey Financial Pease University CD’s the last few days….inspiring. Double car payments…wow, people besides my husband really do that

I'm doing a lot better with the idea of a "Conscious Spending Plan" -- which is one of the ideas that Ramit Sethi shares in his book, "I Will Teach You To Be Rich."
Instead of "budget" (blah), I get paid twice a month. On payday, I pay all my bills, pay 65-year-old self (contribute to Roth IRA), pay my 28-30 year-old-self (contribute to my SmartyPig savings goals) lastly I contribute to my GOK (God Only Knows/emergency savings plan) and then see how much money I have left for the month, and go about spending it. This is where I typically freak out and start taking my lunch to work for the next few days and finding things to eat around the house in the evening because we feel broke.

I think if I can create a system that works, life will feel more comfortable...heck maybe we can get CABLE!!!!

What do you guys think about this? Does the word "budget" stop you from making financial progress? Is it all just semantics?

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment