Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I'm a tooth fairy...


So this weekend Maci lost another tooth. The top front tooth, yep a big one.

Again I think to myself, these kids need to come with an instruction manual. Tooth Fairy…what is the proper edicate. And when I tell Maci that the tooth fairy looks like the one pictured (that’s what I picture her to look like) what do other parents tell their kids? When I give Maci $3-$4 a tooth what do other parents give their kids? And most importantly what do you do with the tooth???

I’ve had this conversation with friends and coworkers in the last year since Maci became the age to start losing teeth. The story goes….Kids put the tooth under their pillow and then go to sleep, the tooth fairy comes takes the tooth and give the kids $… and then what do you do with the tooth?

Some—in fact, surprisingly a lot of them—are on the ‘pro’ side of the great Keeping The Tooth debate. Some of my “mom friends” say they keep them in jewelry box along with all the other tiny mementos of when their children were younger; a time to be remembered and cherished.

To this I have one word: Ick.

Keeping the teeth makes me vaguely uneasy. Having biological remnants stashed next to my diamond earrings kind of gives me the creeps. Like somehow the teeth are jewelry, too??? As though I’m going to string them together on a fishing wire and make myself some sort of necklace made out of human teeth. The idea just does not settle well with me for some reason. Not to mention if I did hang on to the teeth what am I going to do with them? Give them to Maci for her 18th Birthday?

So, as I’ve established myself in the firmly anti-Keeping the Teeth camp, the question becomes: what on earth do you do with the things?

It needs to stay hidden to keep the illusion of the Tooth Fairy intact, and throwing it in the trash is seems to be my only option. Somehow as I burry the tooth as far down as I can so that she doesn’t accidently see it in the trash, I find myself feeling somewhat disrespectful, like a bad tooth fairy. But I throw them out! I’m on the “anti” side of keeping the teeth.

3 comments:

  1. Funny - I did keep your teeth for a while. I did get rid of them after I had probably 5 of each of you and your sisters. I think I went thru the same thing - when do I give them to the girls??? 16, 18, when married, when have their own kids??? Anyway they were sort of creapy to see in the small jar everytime I got in my sock drawer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say you are a better mom than me! I throw them all away!! Wade pays our kids way more than our teeth were ever worth...Logan got $8.00 for her first tooth...he claimed that is what I had in my purse...who said you had to give it all haha!

    ReplyDelete