Friday, April 8, 2011

Oh yeah, my names not Stella but I’ve got my grove back.

For Steph and me the zumba madness has begun. So brace yourself...because this mommy will be shaking, samba'ing, and ZUMBA FITTNESSING my way to a healthy & toned up me. Even if I have to get Zumba for Wii. I have struggled greatly this past year with the 25 pounds I put on after the wedding…nearly 2 years ago (crazy to believe).
The gym I go to offers a Zumba class. Zumba…the hip shaken, butt rocken, muffin top tackling work out. Not only is it QUITE a workout, but it's so much fun...I really didn’t realize I was even "working out”. In case you hadn’t heard of it, I’ll fill you in. It's the Latin-dance inspired aerobics class that's sweeping the nation. Zumba is probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on, especially if you're a Mom who doesn't go out dancing much anymore. What could be better than hopping around to fast, loud, Latin pop music and disco? The unbelievably sculpted, tanned, well-endowed teacher at my gym has you working on moves such as "the body roll," the mystifying "rib shake" and of course, hip wiggles and pelvic thrusts with some complicated little samba steps thrown in for spice. All while sweating profusely and laughing at yourself. At least Steph and I laughed at ourselves. Some of our fellow Zumb-ers seemed to take it more seriously. Many of them have become experts in the moves.

As a first timer, my goals were somewhat more modest. a) Do not fall down and b) Minimize the number of times I was facing the back wall while everyone else faced front or worse yet I was facing them when they should have been looking at my back side.

On a more positive note, there were moments when it all came together. For one whole song, I felt like I could keep up ("Yep, I'm facing front and so is everyone else!"). It even brought up memories of evenings from my pre-kids life, at the…here it comes…are ya ready…THE WEST!

If you have not tried Zumba, you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment