Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gather ‘Round the Table

Growing up I remember some of our fondest conversations happening over the dinner table. But at our house now, its dinnertime and Maci has soccer practice (or of the like depending on the season) and Kyle is likely still at work.

Fast food is high on the priority list, or a sandwich thrown together and eaten on the run. I recently had someone tell me to make a bunch of PBJ’s and freeze them to make things even quicker…crazy how busy we become we can’t even find the time to make a PBJ. But in reality I am often found eating dinner at 8 or 9 at night in order to get everything done after work. Even if I do prepare a meal because I truly love to cook, so many times everyone will eat at different times; the typical scenario for many households these days. Our fast paced lives leave us little time for meals that are shared with everyone in the family. But eating together regularly can be a wonderful source of family time, a way of slowing down and keeping a family in contact during a hectic week. I just don’t want to let go of the good old fashioned time at the table, we just may need to compromise and make it breakfast on the weekends.

Pull up the chairs, serve up the breakfast on Sunday morning and have a good laugh or two with everyone. As I told you yesterday this past Sunday I was so excited about my photography class I photographed our breakfast! Maci helped make French toast.

Kyle has been working early mornings lately so that means he is home for dinner. You have no idea how this simple little element excites me! Dinner at home, all together! Tonight we are making breakfast for dinner. Kyle has already offered to stop at the store and pick up a few items we will need to make dinner on his way home from work. Last night was a leftovers night! It was a major smorgus board of items out of the refrigerator to combine a meal. It feels nice to get things cleaned out of their once in a while but we all ate together. We are working on Maci’s table manners before she ends up at a friend’s house eating with their family, and I windup morally embarrassed that she does not use her table manners; a result solely blamed on us always eating on the go. It is so cute to hear her ask if she may be excused from the table.

"...nothing is too much trouble if it turns out the way it should."
— Julia Child

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, for Brinner! (That's what we call it when we have breakfast food for dinner. A common occurance in my house.) My husband and I are actually going shopping for a dinner table tonight. We don't have one and I grew up in a family that ate dinner together all the time. First step is getting a table so we don't eat in front of the TV anymore.

    ReplyDelete